How to Make a Birdseed Catcher

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

5.3.11

How to Make a Birdseed Catcher


Are you fed up with sweeping up the birdseed and feathers from your pet parakeet? I know I am!  I’ve tried everything to keep Davy Jone’s seed casings in the cage and not on the floor, surrounding furniture, etc.  The stuff scatters on our laminate wood floor and under any furniture nearby. 

This is a quick and simple project that will help keep your house a lot cleaner! I just couldn’t bring myself to pay $20.00 at a local pet store for something so simple. :o)

DSC05326

Supplies needed
32” square of sturdy fabric (Just under 1 yard)
7ft of 16 gauge dark annealed wire (2lb) (comes on a spool from Amazon, Ace Hardware or  Home Depot.)

fold square of fabric in fourths

First, cut out a large circle from a square piece of sturdy fabric. 

If you fold a square in fourths and then one more time into a triangle, you can cut off the wide end into a curve, and you will have a perfect circle. I made sure mine was at least 12” wider than my cage.

DSC05318

Then, just fold over about half an inch on the outside edge of the fabric and sew a ‘casing’ (tube edge to thread your wire through.)

bent wire

Now wash the wire (it’s greasy) with soap and water and dry it off with a paper towel.
Bend over one end and then crimp it tight with pliers.

DSC05332

That makes it easier to push through the casing without getting stuck.
Now thread the wire all the way through the outer edge of the casing and twist it when you meet the other end of the wire.

bird catcher

Shape it into a circle.

bird cage

Now sit the cage in the center of the circle on a table. Poke holes through the fabric with an awl or screw driver close to the edge that is closest to the four corners of the cage.
Then use the screw driver to push the end of some ribbon or string through the hole.
Tie one end of the ribbon to the wire and the other end of the ribbon to the corner of the cage on all four sides. Now your birdseed catcher is attached!
Voila! No more mess!

Linking with Melissa's
My Crafty Weekend
 signature

5 comments

Melissa said...

This is neat! My mom used to make thse by sewing elastic to the fabric. Yours catches alot more seeds I am sure. I am featuring this this week on My Crafty Weekend. Thanks for sharing!

Donna said...

I'm so glad you like it Melissa! I've been doing lots of weird things with sewing like making a 'sling' for our computer cords. Guess I'll share that one next week. :o)
xo
Donna

PS. How exciting!! I'm so honored!

Unknown said...

Great work. This is just what I have been looking for. I have a cockatiel. This will work perfectly for me. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Donna said...

I'm so glad Patricia. Necessity is the mother of invention! I just can't bear to buy what I could make myself lol. So glad my idea helped you. :)

Anonymous said...


Ihave been looking for a pattern like mymother had on her birdcage back in the late 1940's the ones they sell in pet shops aren;t worth the material they are made of. I am so glad you put this one in because this is what i havebeen looking for. Doreen Have wonderful week and a safe one.

“There's nothing half so pleasant as coming home again.” ~ Margaret Sangster

Friends of Comin' Home

Thanks for visiting!

Search This Blog

Followers

Copyright Comin'Home 2020. Powered by Blogger.

Error 404

The page you were looking for, could not be found. You may have typed the address incorrectly or you may have used an outdated link.

Go to Homepage