How to Sew a Fleece Sleep Sack with Pattern

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

11.2.11

How to Sew a Fleece Sleep Sack with Pattern


This Christmas I made sleep sacks for two of the grandkids. My DIL, Ebeth, had asked me, earlier in the year, if I would make a pattern off of my granddaughter’s cotton lined sleep sack, but I just never seemed to find the time.   Frankly, I was amazed to discover these great 'attachable' blankets. How I wish they had made these when my kids were babies! No more worrying that the babies are getting cold in the night from kicking off their covers. Such a smart idea!

DSC03196


Since I was making fleece sleeping bags for most of the grandkids and knew she would prefer sleep sacks, I thought I’d go ahead and make a pattern off of hers.  I’ve written a tutorial of how to make patterns to copy store bought clothes here. It’s one of my most popular posts!  If you have something store bought that you’d like to copy, it’s really pretty easy to make a pattern off of it.


sleep sacks

Anyway, while I was making a pattern to use for the fleece sleep bags, I figured I might as well copy it a couple of times for my two DILS, Ebeth, and Amanda.  I’ve attached a link to the .pdf file HERE and it’s possible, according to Office Max to print it ‘tiled’ from Windows Publisher. I will try to do some scanning so you can have individual pages to print out. 

If you want, you can put the .pdf on a memory stick and take it to any office store and they can print it out, but I think it would be about $5.00 so it might be better just to buy a pattern if you can’t get it to print from your home computer.

 How to Make a Sleep Sack…
  DSC03230

First you need about 1 1/2 to 2 yards of fleece. Fold it in half so that the selvages meet. It will be about 30” by 45” after you fold it.  Then you can have two pieces to fold in half lengthwise. The pattern is designed to be cut on the fold.  

Print the pattern.  Or you could draw your own pattern on freezer paper off of a jumper or sleeveless shirt of your child’s that fits. Just make sure the sack is at least the distance from their shoulder seam to maybe a foot below their feet.  

DSC03190

Note: When I made the pattern it was so the DIL’s could exactly replicate the original sleep sack. But the fleece ones are more simple. I just cut out the shape. I didn’t put in zippers or line them.

  Here you can see how I’m pinning through the fabric into the paper so it will leave holes that I can connect to mark the front neck line. This is one step in making a pattern off of a ready made clothing item. It keeps the garment intact while allowing me to trace each piece of the construction of the garment.

DSC03197

Draw it wide and curved at the bottom for plenty of room for movement. You usually keep your kids in their pajamas and put the sleep sack over it. 


DSC03267 
They are pretty loose even around the shoulders and neck. 

DSC03231

Now cut out a front and back… of the sleep sack.  The shorter one is baby sized and the longer cutting line is toddler sized.

DSC03201

The front should be the lower neckline circle. The back has the higher neckline curve.


hemmed neckline and armholes

Hem the from the armhole edge across the strap edge across the neckline and down the other side. 

DSC03263

I made one side opening larger than the other as I put snaps pretty low on the sides under the arm for a wide opening. I thought that would make it easier to take the baby in and out. 

hemmed neckline and armhole

But really, after making the sacks, my DIL and I both think you could just hem the armholes and neck and not leave an opening on the side seam.  As long as you can unsnap both shoulders, you don’t really need that.

DSC03228

Now sew the front to the back at the starting at one side seam, just below the hemmed edge of the the armhole opening ...all the way around the bottom of the sack..ending at the other armhole at the hemmed opening.

 DSC03258     DSC03257

Then either use a snap tool as I did, or make button holes and sew on buttons to attach the straps at the shoulders, or use velcro dots.  


DSC03227


One thing I will do differently is to lengthen the back straps of the sleep sack so they will overlap on the front straps, but Ebeth said she thought it was fine as it was. 

DSC03262


One of the main benefits of using fleece is that you don’t have to line anything. 
The fabric is very sturdy.  


DSC03261 
And I had no trouble adding snaps even with a double layer of fleece. It compresses very well.

DSC03232


 
DSC03248DSC03239DSC03250DSC03255

On Wednesday, I’ll post the snap tool tutorial so you can see how to use that, in case you have never used one.  But for now..here are some photos which will give you a pretty good idea how they work.
Please, do email me if you have any questions. I’ll reply as soon as I can. Have fun! :o)

Linking with these wonderful Linky Parties...

Cindy's My Romantic Home Show and Tell Friday
Raising Homemakers Wednesday Link Up
                  

signature

17 comments

Trudy said...

These are great Donna.

Breathing In Grace said...

That is adorable...and so simple!! Thank you so much for sharing your talent...and your pattern...with us!!! Thank you, too, for adding a link to my "party"!! You're the best, Ms. Donna!! ;)

Trudy said...

Yes, Donna, I can 100 percent guarantee that you will look like me after 30 days of hooping, gray hair and all, lol. Yes. I am listening to a News Boys cd. I can go forever with music.

Trudy said...

Thanks, again, Donna, on the compliments of the photos with the hat; but actually, this time one of kids, either Emily or Martin, took these photos with my point and shoot. We were out on a homeschool day.

Jennifer @ Her Southern Charm said...

Just discovered your blog and I must say, Im in love! I so wish my mother was as knowledgable as you when it came to the home. She worked and doesn't have one domestic bone in her body. :( Im a stay at home wife (God called me to me a keeper of my home after one year of teaching) and had to find my way on my own. Loving looking through your blog and can't wait to read more. Adding you to my blogroll. PS. Im in DFW suburbia and long for the country life like you :)

Laura said...

Dear Donna,
These are adorable! I just cleaned out my craft loft this week...and found some cute fleece that I would love to try some of these with! Thanks so much for sharing this pattern...you're the best!

Have a blessed weekend,
Laura

“Old World Goodies” said...

I agree with the rest, just wonderful, and sooo easy....
thanks for sharing..

Maria Killam said...

Those look so cozy! Love them! x Maria

Jessica said...

The sleep sacks are cute!

Trudy said...

In your "Basic Finances Part II: How and Why to Store Receipts..." post, you mentioned that you would be doing a Part III for those who would rather work with cash or would like to use receipts to help track their spending. I was wondering if you ever made that post? I've done a search for it on your blog, and I cannot find it. If you have, could you send me the link? If you haven't, when you have the time, could you try and do it? Thank you, Donna. I am learning so much from you and really appreciate your ministry and the time you invest.

Trudy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Well done! My son lived in those when he was little since he hated keeping blankets on throughout the winter. With these I knew he'd be warm and save too since he couldn't get these wrapped around his head like a normal blanket.

Julia said...

These are a great idea!!! Thanks

Raj James said...

Thanks for sharing this nice post. It really provides good method about how to sew sleep sacks of different pattern.For more information relevant to your post visit on
Baby sleep sacks

Raj James said...

Really wants to thanks, for sharing such a useful methods..It really awesome..Baby sleep sacks are like baby second's mother..It keep safe to your baby..For more info visit Best baby sleep sacks

Raj James said...

Thanks for sharing the easy and best methods of sewing a sleep sacks..This is quite natural for our new little ones and it doesn't have any harmful effect..For further details visit Baby sleepsack.

Donna said...

Raj, Thank you for the link to purchased sleep sacks. If they don't have the time to make their own, yours look very nice. :)

“There's nothing half so pleasant as coming home again.” ~ Margaret Sangster

Friends of Comin' Home

Thanks for visiting!

Search This Blog

Followers

Copyright Comin'Home 2020. Powered by Blogger.

Error 404

The page you were looking for, could not be found. You may have typed the address incorrectly or you may have used an outdated link.

Go to Homepage