How to Do the 1920's Coloring Quilt Method

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

3.8.10

How to Do the 1920's Coloring Quilt Method


My daughter-in-law, Amanda, and I are trying to decide what style of baby quilt to make for my newest grandson, Nicholai. She wants to decorate the boys' room in either a 'nautical' style or an 'ocean creatures' style.  I think she's leaning towards the Ocean theme.  While Tim was working at the hotel, I started working on the baby quilt, but not knowing for sure which direction we were headed, I started on the nautical theme. I've always wanted to do a beach quilt wall hanging, so I knew I could use this fabric and design regardless of which she picked.


I learned this method the first year I took quilting lessons almost nine years ago. Rebekah was eleven, when "Mrs. Margie" helped her do a block each week of Sunbonnet Sue through the years. I'm not at home, or I'd show you a photo of it. I'll try to get that up soon.  That is how I learned to do this.  I've done an ocean themed baby quilt before but it was geared around Peter Pan.



The idea is to trace coloring book pages on white fabric with a micron pen. But first you stabilize the fabric by ironing freezer paper to the back. Then you can color the blocks with regular crayola crayons. After ironing them to set the wax, you can embroider the outlines and even quilt the designs. It's a lot of fun--for adults and children. You can always draw your own pictures.  I once did a whole row of seashells which I drew myself and then colored and embroidered..using this method. It's so versatile!

Here's how you do it...

First, you need some supplies... white cotton fabric, freezer paper, micron pen, crayola crayons, embroidery thread and needle, and hoop.


Then some fabric so you can coordinate the colors you use and the thread to match.


First measure out the size of block you want and cut out some squares to trace the photos on. I want to do 12" blocks so I cut out 13" so I'd have some extra for the embroidery hoop.


Iron freezer paper to the back of the blocks and don't use steam. This will keep the fabric stiff while you draw and color on it.



Trace the picture onto the block with a Micron Pen. (They don't bleed.) Use a light box or the window so you can see the lines through the fabric.


Now you can color your picture! I do a lot of shading and mix colors...green and blue for the ocean, blue and gray for the sky, brown and orange for some of the wood... etc.


Here's a finished block. I added more detail later..flag, seagulls, rope lines etc.


Remove paper backing. Now it's ready to iron to set the wax. Again...don't use the steam setting. I always cut out some extra fabric to use as a pressing cloth.



Put in hoop and start embroidering with matching colors.

When you are done, cut the block to size and it's ready to sew into your quilt!

Have fun and....

Happy Homemaking!


6 comments

Diana said...

Its lovely!~! The ocean nautical theme is really ideal for a boy! He would love it!~~

Debby said...

I have never seen this done before. I love it. Looks like water color paintings. You are so talented.

Beautifully Veiled said...

I think I shall try this one day....not any time soon....but one day. First I have to get Sarah's swimsuit done. Yes, it is August. Yes, school starts around here next week. (ok, not us, we don't til after Labor Day)Yes, her last year's suit is coming apart....BUT I WILL GET THAT SUIT DONE!!!! I DON'T CARE THAT SHE HAS PROBABLY OUTGROWN THE PATTERN!!!!
Ok, I feel better now. And one day I'll make a cute coloring book quilt too. Maybe with cowboys like that fabric at Hobby Lobby....

Oh, LOVE your light box! Mine is my front storm door!

Blessings,
Linda

Jill said...

Wow! You just gave me a flashback! I remember learning this in home ec at school years ago! Thanks for refreshing my memory! It's beautiful.
Blessings,
Jill

GlorV1 said...

Donna, that is totally awesome. How fun and easy. I have made quilts before and have done a similar thing but painted on the fabric and then sewed around it. Thanks for these great instructions on this type of quiliting. You are so talented.Take care friend.

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

“There's nothing half so pleasant as coming home again.” ~ Margaret Sangster

Friends of Comin' Home

Thanks for visiting!

Search This Blog

Followers

Copyright Comin'Home 2020. Powered by Blogger.

Error 404

The page you were looking for, could not be found. You may have typed the address incorrectly or you may have used an outdated link.

Go to Homepage