A Snowy Welcome in Oklahoma!

Main Posts Background Image

Main Posts Background Image

6.12.13

A Snowy Welcome in Oklahoma!



This weekend, Hubby is doing a little work in Tulsa. Remember all the cathedrals I showed you this summer? I do hope we can attend church in the biggest one, but that may not be possible.



I little thought when I arrived that it would be snowing! What a treat for this Houston gal to have snow.. maybe a bit too much snow! HaHa!

You can't help but remember Bing Crosby's version of Silver Bells walking down the snow covered city streets. :)





We South Texas girls are not used to bundling up, sloshing through brown snow and protecting ourselves from a wintery blast on cold city streets! 




But I have to say Tulsa has it's consolations in winter.

Real winter beauty is something we don't get to admire very often in our little country home in Willis, Tx.










Snuggled down in a city wrapped in snow and Christmas finery made me smile. I could not have asked for a more pleasant way to spend the weekend such a short time before Christmas. :)

Winter-Time

  by Robert Louis Stevenson
Late lies the wintry sun a-bed,   
A frosty, fiery sleepy-head;   
Blinks but an hour or two; and then,   
A blood-red orange, sets again.   
   
Before the stars have left the skies, 
At morning in the dark I rise;   
And shivering in my nakedness,   
By the cold candle, bathe and dress.   
   
Close by the jolly fire I sit   
To warm my frozen bones a bit; 
Or with a reindeer-sled, explore   
The colder countries round the door.   
   
When to go out, my nurse doth wrap   
Me in my comforter and cap;   
The cold wind burns my face, and blows 
Its frosty pepper up my nose.   
   
Black are my steps on silver sod;   
Thick blows my frosty breath abroad;   
And tree and house, and hill and lake,   
Are frosted like a wedding-cake.
- See more at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/19310#sthash.os1Rur47.dpuf




 Though the weather outside is pretty frightful, it's quite delightful in our warm cozy hotel. I am sipping warm coffee, listening to Christmas music, and happily bundled away from the wintery blast.




 The next couple of days, I'll be addressing Christmas cards from my hotel room and it does seem strange to feel as if I literally 'stepped' into a live one!

Late lies the wintry sun a-bed, A frosty, fiery sleepy-head; Blinks but an hour or two; and then, A blood-red orange, sets again. Before the stars have left the skies, At morning in the dark I rise; And shivering in my nakedness, By the cold candle, bathe and dress. Close by the jolly fire I sit To warm my frozen bones a bit; Or with a reindeer-sled, explore The colder countries round the door. When to go out, my nurse doth wrap Me in my comforter and cap; The cold wind burns my face, and blows Its frosty pepper up my nose. Black are my steps on silver sod; Thick blows my frosty breath abroad; And tree and house, and hill and lake, Are frosted like a wedding-cake. - See more at: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/19310#sthash.os1Rur47.dpuf

Taking in all the snow and the bright Christmas ornaments..and the tall city skyscrapers made me think of this poem...

Winter-Time

Late lies the wintry sun a-bed,
A frosty, fiery sleepy-head;
Blinks but an hour or two; and then,
A blood-red orange, sets again.

Before the stars have left the skies,
At morning in the dark I rise;
And shivering in my nakedness,
By the cold candle, bathe and dress.

Close by the jolly fire I sit
To warm my frozen bones a bit;
Or with a reindeer-sled, explore
The colder countries round the door.

When to go out, my nurse doth wrap
Me in my comforter and cap;
The cold wind burns my face, and blows
Its frosty pepper up my nose.

Black are my steps on silver sod;
Thick blows my frosty breath abroad;
And tree and house, and hill and lake,
Are frosted like a wedding cake.

No comments

“There's nothing half so pleasant as coming home again.” ~ Margaret Sangster

Friends of Comin' Home

Thanks for visiting!

Search This Blog

Followers

Copyright Comin'Home 2020. Powered by Blogger.

Error 404

The page you were looking for, could not be found. You may have typed the address incorrectly or you may have used an outdated link.

Go to Homepage